Permaculture Design and Green Building Alternatives
One of the factors that makes Home Healing Renovations unique is that we specialize in permaculture design and green building alternatives. Through permaculture, we offer a holistic approach to construction and remodeling. In this approach, buildings, gardens, and occupants are mutually integrated within the whole home system: each complements and sustains the others to create an environment of beauty, balance, and harmony. All buildings and alterations are artfully designed to provide a sense well-being for the occupants. In addition, this approach focuses on sustaining the earth and its precious resources, thus increasing harmony on a global scale as well.
Our green building services include the use of various natural and non-toxic materials, renewable energy systems, and other sustainable techniques. They can be used to retrofit existing buildings, added to existing systems, as well as used in original construction.
Some features include:
- Renewable energy systems such as Solar Electric, Wind, Geothermal heating and cooling, microhydro, fireplaces, boilers, and radiant floor heating
- Water treatment systems such as grey water, composting toilets, water catchment and diversion, erosion control techniques, pond installations
- Natural buildings using alternative construction techniques such as cob, strawbale, cordwood, timberframing
- Non-toxic materials for flooring, paint, plasters, insulation
- Foundation designs to eliminate offgassing
- Passive solar lighting
- Use of recycled and reclaimed materials
- Feng shui, coloration, accents, interior decorating, and spacial relationships to create energetic balance and positive flow
- Landscaping installations, interior garden spaces, greenhouses
- Arbors, gazebos, decks, sunrooms, porches
Jason Johnson received his Certificate in Permaculture Design through study with Starhawk and Penny Livingston-Stark (founder of the the Permaculture Institute in Bolinas, CA).